Christine Nolfi - Treasure Me

Sunday, June 23, 2013

22. Treasure Me by Christine Nolfi (2011)
The Liberty Series Book 1
Length: 273 pages
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Started: 12 June 2013
Finished: 23 June 2013
Where did it come from? Many thanks to Christine for originally sending me a copy of this book to read. I then bought another copy from Amazon as a replacement copy for the first one which was lost due to an unforeseen computer hard drive crash sometime in 2011, I think.
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 30 November 2011
Why do I have it? I like contemporary romance and Christine Nolfi is a new author for me.

Petty thief Birdie Kaminski has arrived in Liberty, Ohio with one thing on her mind...Treasure! Her plan is to steal a cache of treasure hidden since the Civil War. She's in possession of a charming clue which has been passed down in her family for generations: 'Liberty safeguards the cherished heart.' The beautiful thief has dreams of going straight. She secretly admires the clue's author, freedwoman Justice Postell, who rose from the horrors of slavery to build a new life for herself in Ohio.

According to family lore, Justice left South Carolina at the dawn of the Civil War. Heavy with child, Justice journeyed north carrying untold riches. As Birdie searches for the treasure, she begins to believe a more questionable part of the story: a tale of love between Justice and Lucas Postell, a French plantation owner who was Birdie's ancestor. If the stories are true, Justice bore a child with Lucas. Some of those black relatives might still live in town. Birdie can't help but wonder if she's actually found one - Liberty's feisty matriarch, Theodora Hendricks, who packs a pistol and an assortment of heartwarming stories about Justice Postell.

Birdie has no idea that an investigative reporter who has recently arrived in town will soon trip her up - as will her conscience when she begins to wonder if it's possible for her to start fresh with stolen riches. Yet with each new clue Birdie unearths, she discovers a family history more precious than gems, a tradition of love far richer than she could possibly imagine.

I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I actually remember reading this when I first received a copy of it from the author. I believe that I only read as far as the second or third chapter, before I discovered that my computer had corrupted the book and then crashed - taking much of my previous reading material down with it. Oh well. I'm happy to say that I bought a brand spanking new copy for my virtual library, and I'm only a tad dismayed that it took me such a long time to read this book. :)

The characters and plot was incredibly likable - especially Birdie and Theodora - and the setting was very believable. I found myself rooting for Birdie and crying at several very touching points throughout the story. I do find myself crying quite frequently with certain books. I'm a complete marshmallow when it comes to heartwarming books - what can I say! :) I certainly give Treasure Me by Christine Nolfi an A+! and am eagerly awaiting my chance to read Second Chance Grill - the next book in the Liberty series.

A+! - (96-100%)

May you read well and often

0 comments: