The Kickoff of the One Million Bookprints For One Million Books Campaign From Scholastic

Monday, December 12, 2011

So, today I was watching The View and Whoopi Goldberg mentioned the One Million Bookprints For One Million Books Campaign hosted by Scholastic. Then I received an email from Scholastic telling me about it as well.

The One Million Bookprints For One Million Books Campaign is an initiative to donate one million books to kids in need through the literacy nonprofit Reach Out and Read. By joining Scholastic’s online book community YouAreWhatYouRead.com, you can make a Bookprint – a list of 5 books that have shaped your life. And for every Bookprint, Scholastic Book Clubs will donate a book. It is that easy to make a difference this holiday season! People who create a bookprint can also enter a giveaway to win the same books given to the audience at The View (The Invention of Hugo Cabret, The Hunger Games, The 39 Clues: Maze of Bones, Captain Underpants, and Clifford the Champion.)

I just had to sign up for myself. Here are my five books for my personal bookprint:

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens - To my mind, the quintessential Christmas book. Everyone knows the plot, but even though I have read it almost every year since I was about eight, it always gives me a good feeling to read it around December. I have had a copy that I bought through my own Scholastic Book Club when I was in third grade. The book itself is yellowed slightly but still in relatively good condition. :)

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien - Alright, so I haven't read the Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J. R. R. Tolkien but I do have all three books hidden away somewhere and I have to dig them out and read them sometime. I have bought a new copy of The Hobbit through a Library Book Sale recently, but originally read  this in seventh grade as part of my summer reading list. At my school, on the last day of English class we were all given a three page list and told to pick three books to read over the summer. On the first day of the next grade, we were given our ultimate assignment: write up a book report on the books we'd chosen and why we'd chosen them.

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier - This book I read in the ninth grade again as part of my summer reading list. I have to say that that was the year that I procrastinated on my book choices. I had started out reading the book and wasn't so sure that I wanted to finish it. It was somewhat "chunky" and because I hadn't ever read Daphne du Maurier before I was unsure if I would enjoy it. I ended up loving it because it had a "ghost". :)

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas - I seem to have chosen four out of five books that I read as a child, but I wouldn't call them young adult at all. This book I read in the tenth grade, I think. I would read this aloud in my bedroom and my mother would hear me start to laugh and come in to check on me. :) I would just explain to her that it was a scene in The Three Musketeers. I loved the action and adventure of this book and my favorite character was the young and brash D'Artagnan.

Tender Warrior by Linda Lang Bartell - Okay, I generally read just about anything but I never truly enjoyed historical romances that much until I read Tender Warrior by Linda Lang Bartell. Yes, it probably would be considered a cheesy romance by today's standards - it was written in 1992 - but I was literally enthralled by the fact that the author actually had the characters speaking some French and chuckled to myself as I successfully translated what the Norman knights said to one another in my mind.

It also really sparked my interest that the lead heroine in the book was a Saxon noblewoman named Merlyn trained in the healing arts (of course) but that the Normans were generally suspicious of her and kept whispering about her being a witch (purely based on her name Merlyn, I'm sure) It took place at the time of William the Conquerer and I thought it was loads of fun to read! :) I was about 18 or so at the time and this was the first adult historical romance that I read.


May you read well and often

0 comments: