Creston Mapes - Dark Star: Confessions of a Rock Idol

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

28. Dark Star: Confessions of a Rock Idol by Creston Mapes (2005)
Rock Star Chronicles Book 1
Length: 403 pages
Genre: Christian Fiction
Started: 19 December 2011
Finished: 20 December 2011
Where did it come from? Many thanks to Cheryl at Media Guests for sending me a copy of this book to read.
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 14 December 2011
Why do I have it? I was intrigued by the concept and Creston Mapes is a new author for me.

The heavy metal band DeathStroke had it all: adoring fans, money, fame and a high-selling music career. The four members of the band were life-long friends who had already been through so much together. Their lead singer was the one who led them to stardom and he knew it! Everett Lester was a man who had everything: drugs, women and a true God-given talent which he was currently squandering while on a dangerous and destructive path.

Everett ostensibly had everything he had ever wanted in life; and yet he had nothing that he truly wanted - love, acceptance and contentment within himself. Then a young Christian woman begins to write to him. Her letters are bewildering to Everett - she professes to hate everything he stands for but to love him with Christ's pure love.

As Everett continues to spiral down into darkness, he clings to the lifeline Karen's letters to him represent. He is completely unaware of the spiritual battle that is being waged for his very soul. When Everett is charged with the murder of his personal psychic - a murder that he doesn't remember committing - he is thrown in jail and threatened by the powers of darkness.

Can Everett as a newly-saved Christian survive the trial and successfully turn his life over to God or will Satan entice Everett to fall again?

I have to say that I enjoyed this book very much. I started reading this book honestly believing that the plot of rock and roll, drugs, and loose women might not lend itself very well to Christian fiction. I was wrong. It was tough starting it, true, but once I began reading it, I couldn't stop! I give this book an A! and look forward to the next book in the series.

A! - (90-95%)

May you read well and often

2 comments:

Creston Mapes said...

Thanks for the shining review.

Creston

Emeraldfire said...

I absolutely loved it, Mr. Mapes! I wish you all the best with your future endeavors. :)