Annabel Hertz - Seeing Green

Saturday, April 26, 2014

27. Seeing Green by Annabel Hertz (2014)
Length: 223 pages
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Started: 17 April 2014
Finished: 26 April 2014
Where did it come from? Many thanks to Samantha at JKS Communications for sending me a copy of this book to read.
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 2 April 2014
Why do I have it? I like contemporary fiction and Annabel Hertz is a new author for me.

Arcani Kirsch - a recent college graduate with Jewish-Hopi roots - is convinced that, just as her name implies, she is a woman who is 'destined for greatness'. Having attended the Rio Earth Summit in 1992, Arcani is subsequently compelled to do her part to make the world a better place after she witnesses the plight of the indigenous peoples.  

To that end, Arcani leaves her west coast cocoon and joins Environ Mentality - an international conglomeration of green-minded businesses in Washington, DC, that are committed to getting the Earth Treaty ratified. The first step in implementing their plan is ensuring that the next US President attends a Ministerial meeting in Paris. Arcani sets the wheels in motion, and spearheads a campaign to do just that. 

There are, however, various potholes along Arcani's environmental path: One of her former ultra nationalist professors has plagiarized her thesis; then there's the man who could derail her with his lustiness; the one who wants her to come to Christ; and the one she'd written off as dead. Not to mention having to cope with Caroline, her albatross of a sister. Yes, the path to Paris is indeed muddy. 

But Arcani plows ahead, trying to stay true to her vision, making sure that her methods are kosher, and that her doting Aunt Lillian is proud of her. En route to the Ministerial, Arcani makes her mark on the world in totally unexpected ways. Against a backdrop of world events that are highly relevant to today, Seeing Green by Annabel Hertz explores the lighter side to dedicating oneself to changing a world that's rather resistant to change; as well as drawing on themes of individuality and enlightenment. 

I wasn't entirely sure what I was expecting when I first started this book - although the synopsis certainly was very intriguing. I must say that I found this story extremely funny. Arcani's personality shone through to me, I sympathized with her and appreciated that she stayed true to her principles. I give Seeing Green by Annabel Hertz a definite A! 

A! - (90-95%)              

May you read well and often

0 comments: