Andra Watkins - To Live Forever: An Afterlife Journey of Meriwether Lewis

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

26. To Live Forever: An Afterlife Journey of Meriwether Lewis by Andra Watkins (2014)
Length: 305 pages
Genre: Historical Fantasy
Started: 13 April 2014
Finished: 23 April 2014
Where did it come from? Many thanks to Dorothy at Pump up Your Book for sending me a copy of this book to read.
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 1 March 2014
Why do I have it? I like historical fantasy, especially when it also includes paranormal elements in the plot. Andra Watkins is also a new author for me.

On October 11, 1809, famed explorer and governor of the Upper Louisiana Territory, Meriwether Lewis was found dead of two gunshot wounds. The circumstances surrounding his death were suspicious, but his death was tentatively ruled a suicide. Drifting alone in the mists of Nowhere for the past two centuries, Merry has repeatedly attempted to gain redemption in various ways. However, with the taint of suicide shadowing his legacy, each attempt Merry has made has resulted in failure. Now, his last hope at redemption has finally arrived... 

Nine-year-old Emmaline Cagney is on the run. Fleeing her madame mother in New Orleans, Em desperately needs to find her father in Nashville. But with only a few of her daddy's letters to guide her, Em is not entirely sure where to start such a long journey. And with so many evil people looking for her, the only thing she knows for certain is that she'll need some help to get where she's going.

Merry had never imagined that his final assignment would involve helping a nine-year-old tomboy find her father in Nashville. He certainly knows the way, but to get there, Merry must cross his own grave along the Natchez Trace. He'll also encounter the corrupt Judge Wilkinson - an old foe who has held a grudge against Merry for the past two hundred years. The Judge also has his own despicable plans for Emmaline.

In my opinion, this was a very intriguing premise to begin with, and I was completely invested in the story by the end of the first chapter. The characters were well-developed, and the story was thoroughly engrossing and very poignant. I found myself caring for these characters, and I wanted to see how they worked through their various dilemmas. Andra Watkins is a new author for me at the moment, but I'm definitely looking forward to reading more from her in the future. I absolutely loved this book and give it an A+!

A+! - (96-100%)

May you read well and often

0 comments: