Jess Steven Hughes - The Wolf of Britannia Part I

Friday, May 27, 2016

11. The Wolf of Britannia Part I by Jess Steven Hughes (2015)
The Sign of the Eagle Trilogy Book 1
Length: 321 pages
Genre: Historical Fiction
Started: 1 May 2016
Finished: 27 May 2016
Where did it come from? Many thanks to Dorothy at Pump up Your Book for sending me a copy of this book to read.
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 26 April 2016
Why do I have it? I like historical fiction and Jess Steven Hughes is a new author for me.

Britain during the first century is a divided land - a fragmented and unsettled country populated by a myriad of warring Celtic tribes. Thus, it is also a land ripe for invasion from the military might of imperial Rome. Knowing that the Roman juggernaut would love nothing more than to subjugate Britain to the will of the Roman Empire, a young warrior prince must somehow unite his people.

The soon-to-be-legendary Prince Caractacus realizes that he must find a way to unite the southern tribes if they are all to survive. Imperial Rome is proving to be a cunning and strategic adversary; a dangerous enemy more threatening and powerful than either Caractacus or his people could possibly have imagined. Britain surely faces an epic battle for its very survival.

Standing beside the eminent Prince Caractacus is his wife, Rhian, a warrior princess who takes no prisoners. She is the first woman Caractacus has ever loved, and is also a force to be reckoned with in her own right. With her support and that of his other allies, Caractacus must outsmart Adminios - his traitorous older brother who is determined to take the throne. Adminios is aided in his devious plans by a conniving Roman diplomat and a tribal chieftain who is in the pockets of the Romans.

Caractacus' mission is a necessary one, but also incredibly difficult to fulfill. He must not only save his country from the pending onslaught of the Roman Empire, but also from a more insidious internal threat: his own people's treachery. As the various combatants begin to emerge from the shadows and prepare themselves for battle, Caractacus knows that he must succeed in his mission...or else die trying.

I have always enjoyed reading historical epics and The Wolf of Britainnia Part I by Jess Steven Hughes was no different. In my opinion, this story was well-developed and intriguing. At no point in the story did I feel like I was reading a dry, step-by-step historical account.

I found myself quickly immersed in the story and freely admit that I got lost in the plot. I really connected with many of the characters and I'm avidly waiting to find out what happens in the next installment of this trilogy. I give The Wolf of Britainnia Part I by Jess Steven Hughes an A!

A! - (90-95%)

May you read well and often

0 comments: