Deborah and James Howe - Bunnicula: A Rabbit-Tale of Mystery

Saturday, May 21, 2016

10. Bunnicula: A Rabbit-Tale of Mystery by Deborah and James Howe (1979)
The Bunnicula Series Book 1
Length: 116 pages 
Genre: Horror 
Started: 19 May 2016
Finished: 21 May 2016
Where did it come from? From Bookmooch
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 14 April 2015
Why do I have it? I like horror and Deborah and James Howe are new authors for me.

The Monroe family is just a typical American family - and still is in many respects. However, little does this normal family realize how much their situation will change by the end of a particularly  dark and stormy night. The family pets - Harold the dog and Chester the cat are both spending a quiet night at home, while Mom and Dad Monroe and their two sons - eight-year-old Toby and ten-year-old Pete - are at the movies.

By the time that the Monroes return, they seem to have acquired an unexpected guest - a tiny cute-looking black and white bunny, that the boys found bundled up in the very last row of the movie theater. Obviously, such an innocent, harmless creature only needs a good home and a loving family to care for him. So, the Monroe family decides to take this homeless little waif back with them, and name him Bunnicula, in honor of the movie that they saw: Dracula.

Immediately, Harold and Chester's suspicions are raised. Apparently, all the diabolical signs are there - a seemingly heart-broken mother's message is pinned to the baby rabbit's blanket: "Take good care of my baby" is scrawled in an obscure foreign dialect; strains of exotic violin music echo hauntingly through the night; the desiccated husks of defenseless vegetables litter the Monroes' kitchen floor, although the peculiar bunny shows an obvious aversion to garlic. As Bunnicula slowly settles into his new home and family, Harold and Chester's ultimate mission soon becomes abundantly clear: Beware of the Hare!

The furry duo know that they must do everything within their power to protect the unsuspecting Monroe family from the frightening repercussions of their kindly actions. This well-meaning family has absolutely no inkling of the immense danger in which they have placed themselves. After all, Bunnicula's master plan of domestic domination is stunningly devious for all its quiet simplicity: "Today vegetables...tomorrow the world!" Before it gets too late, Harold and Chester must discover the truth about the newest addition to their household - the suspicious-looking bunny with the mesmerizing eyes and unusual behavior...and fangs!

I've actually read this book once before - when I was approximately ten years old. I had received this book from the Scholastic Book Club during one of the several times a year that the book club sent their newsletter around to all the school districts. The kids in my class were allowed to choose whichever books they wanted to buy, and I was usually the one kid who ended up having the most books stacked up on her desk. I have since lost my copy of this book but wanted to get another copy to keep in my collection.

I found this book to be easy-reading and to be extremely funny, although it seemed to be slightly dated for being written in 1979. I would still give this book an A! I think that I have some of Mr. Howe's books from this series somewhere on my bookshelf.

A! - (90-95%)

May you read well and often

0 comments: