Enid Blyton - The Wishing-Chair Again

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

46. The Wishing-Chair Again by Enid Blyton (1950)
The Wishing-Chair Series Book 2
Length: 185 pages
Genre: Fantasy
Started: 10 July 2014
Finished: 13 August 2014
Where did it come from? This was a birthday present given to me by a friend when I was six years old.
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 1 June 1984
Why do I have it? I like fantasy and have read and enjoyed several books by this author in the past.

The children who possess the fabulously magical Wishing-Chair are back and are ready to have some more thrilling and fantastic adventures to far away lands. Mollie and her brother Peter come home from boarding school for the holidays and, after they hug their parents and see their rooms and toys again, they rush down to their playroom at the bottom of the garden. The children have a splendid secret that they've been keeping to themselves ever since their mother's birthday: they own the most terrifically magical Wishing-Chair ever!

Their friend Chinky the Pixie takes the Wishing-Chair to his mother's house to look after it, and when Mollie and Peter come home, they and Chinky go on all kinds of unusual adventures together. In this book, the children meet some of Chinky's family members; like his somewhat anti-social cousin Sleep-Alone, and his magical great aunt Quick-Fingers, as well as Chinky's cheery and rather rotund cousin Pipkin. They also meet a very naughty Brownie named Winks - a trouble-maker who wants to leave his own boarding/reform school and join Mollie, Peter and Chinky on their various adventures.

I don't know if I've read this particular book before, I don't think so; although I may have read a different book in The Wishing-Chair Series. I loved Enid Blyton as a child; she was one of my favorite authors! I still have perhaps five or ten of Ms. Blyton's books stowed downstairs in the 'Glory Hole' - the storage room under our stairs. In fact, I may have kept more then ten of Ms. Blyton's books; I'm not sure.

I've kept quite a number of the books that I read as a child - mostly just my absolutely 'gotta-keep-'em-or-else' favorite books from childhood. I give The Wishing-Chair Again by Enid Blyton a definite A! and will certainly be keeping it on my bookshelf.

A! - (90-95%)

May you read well and often

0 comments: