Mike Hartner, Author of I, Walter, Discusses His Thoughts on Writing The Eternity Series

Friday, September 6, 2013

Meet Mike Hartner

Mike Hartner is a father, son, author, patriot, geek (ret), and husband.

His love of all things genealogical led him to writing, and writing has now led him to fiction and a large epic saga.

He lives in Vancouver, BC with his wife and son.

His latest book is the historical romance, I, Walter.

Visit his website at www.accidentalauthor.ca.

Connect & Socialize with Mike!


Synopsis of I, Walter: This is the life story of Walter Crofter, an English commoner who ran from home at the age of 11. After two years living on the street, he ended up on a Merchant Mariners boat in the service of the Crown.

On his first voyage, he rescued a girl from pirates. A very important girl, who stole his heart before she was returned to her home.

This is the story of his life. What adventures he had at sea; what took him off the waters, and what happened to him as he lived his life and stayed true to his character.

Coming to Amazon on 10 May 2013! 

I would like to welcome Mike Hartner, author of I, Walter to Emeraldfire's Bookmark. Mr. Hartner was kind enough to write a guest post for me and here it is below in his own words: 

'Pantser or Planner...The Story Behind the Eternity Series'
by Mike Hartner

In the beginning, there was light :).

So the truth is, in the beginning there was a book about 4 20somethings that will probably fit into the New Adult listing that is now gaining popularity. Loosely fashioned in a "Magnum P.I." format, these four caballeros used an older man, Bill, as their 'Higgins' -- the little guy who tried very hard to keep everyone out of trouble and running the straight and narrow. And the 4 heroes were destined to do great things together, but solving the riddles of a few major battles was a headache that just couldn't be put into perfect form for publishing.

My editor saw enough promise in those 4 heroes that he suggested I break from telling their story, and go to one aspect of the story... a darker aspect... and search for its history as far back as I could. It was during this search that I wrote a 10,000 word expose in a matter of two hours. And found Geoff, Walter's father.

But Geoff, to me, wasn't interesting enough. And with my editor's blessing, we got I, Walter.

More though, we found that I, Walter is the first book in this series, and that the four 20somethings that I had been working on were going to come into the series much later. So now, I know that they will be there, and I know that Walter is the start. And as I finish one book, I know the next one or two that are coming. So, Right now, Walter's son James is competing with a Scotsman named Angus to see who will be book two and who will be book three. But they will both be there.

Walter's son James is the logical choice, as most people will understand if they read I, Walter. And those people that have already read it have asked me when they will hear James' story. But, Angus' tie-in is equally important. And while the reader won't see the connection for several more books afterwards, I can promise you it is an important one.

I'm an organic writer, or what most people call a 'pantser'. I listen to the protagonist(s) and then try to tell the story that they've given me. Sometimes, there events take several days of perocolation to get through the bedroock in my head and come out on paper. But in each case, I'm nearly as surprised as the writer from listening to these characters.

To directly answer your question, I would say that each book will have an era of its own, even if it is a generation later. In some cases, it might be more than two generations later, but it will be concurrent on a timeline. Walter was born 1588, his son James 1610/11 ? if I remember correctly. So, James' story really starts 1621/2 and goes forward. Angus' is very similar timeline.

And book 4 will probably start in the 1670s, and maybe book 5 around the turn of the 1700s. Chronologically, the series will continue to march forward.

Mike Hartner, author of I, Walter
You can visit Mike's website at www.accidentalauthor.ca  

May you read well and often

0 comments: