Shirin Yim Bridges - Hatshepsut of Egypt

Thursday, May 26, 2011

18. Hatshepsut of Egypt by Shirin Yim Bridges (2010)
The Thinking Girl's Treasury of Real Princesses Book 1
Length: 24 pages
Genre: Non-Fiction
Started/Finished: 26 May 2011
Where did it come from? Many thanks to the lovely tour guides at Goose Bottom Books for sending me a copy of the book to read.
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 10 May 2011
Why do I have it? I do like true history geared towards children and Shirin Yim Bridges is a new author for me.


This is the first book in a series of six that tells the stories of real-life princesses who successfully ruled their countries in times when it was unheard of to do so. Hatshepsut was the first female pharaoh of Egypt and was the first pharaoh to be buried in the Valley of the Kings. Her father had raised her in the knowledge of government and after the death of her husband, she boldly proclaimed herself as pharaoh. She made Egypt extremely rich and many of her riches came to be found in the boy-king Tutankhamun's tomb although she was not buried with him. Covering what Hatshepsut wore, what she ate, and how she ruled, this is an excellent bit of insight into this interesting female ruler.

I started out not knowing about Hatshepsut at all. I am extremely interested in Egypt. I give this book an A!


A! - (90-95%)

May you read well and often

0 comments: