Joni Parker - The Black Elf of Seaward Isle

Friday, March 20, 2015

12. The Black Elf of Seaward Isle by Joni Parker (2012)
The Seaward Isle Saga Book 1
Length: 269 pages
Genre: Fantasy
Started: 14 March 2015
Finished: 20 March 2015
Where did it come from? Many thanks to Dorothy at Pump up Your Book and Joni Parker for sending me a copy of this book to read.
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 2 February 2015
Why do I have it? I like fantasy and Joni Parker is a new author for me.

For the inhabitants of Seaward Isle, life is remarkably harsh and the majority of them treat life on the island as a case of survival of the fittest - never speaking of where they come from, yet trying to rebuild futures for themselves on a faraway island. You see, the population of the island is primarily composed of survivors of shipwrecks, each one swept off course by terrible storms and pulled through various rifts in time or from a variety of different worlds and realms. These alien time travelers have struggled first to survive and then to find a way to escape and return home.

Elves, dwarves and mortals exist and mingle together in a world filled with pirates, rife with political intrigue and steeped in magic. Their collective fates rest in the hands of one young woman, the orphaned Lady Alexin. Half-Elfin and sole descendant of Titan ancestry, Alex trained as a warrior and swore to avenge her parents' deaths. However, she is completely heedless that only she has the power to save them all.

I must say that while it took me some time to get into this story - I was slightly perplexed by the time traveling element - it was only a temporary feeling for me. Once I was drawn into the storyline, I really enjoyed reading this book. I found the characters and plot to be well-developed, and the time traveling was woven into the story and plausibly explained. I give The Black Elf of Seaward Isle by Joni Parker an A! I'm looking forward to seeing where this trilogy will lead from here.

A! - (90-95%)

May you read well and often

0 comments: