Erik Therme - Mortom: A Novel

Friday, December 12, 2014

56. Mortom: A Novel by Erik Therme (2014)
Length: 293 pages
Genre: Contemporary Mystery
Started: 7 December 2014
Finished: 12 December 2014
Where did it come from? Many thanks to Erik Therme for sending me a copy of this book to read.
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 2 June 2014
Why do I have it? I like contemporary mysteries and Erik Therme is a new author for me.

There was never much love lost between Andy Crowl and his cousin Craig Moore. Even as children, the boys had shared little beyond an innate and fiercely competitive streak; building up to a mutually self-imposed estrangement that lasted well into their adulthood. Since the two hadn't spoken in years; what happens next leaves Andy utterly mystified.

On the outskirts of the tiny town of Mortom - population 986 - thirty-three-year-old Craig Moore is found drowned in the lake. Considered by many to be a loner and the town eccentric, few attend his funeral. One week later Andy and his sister Kate arrive in Mortom, still stunned by their cousin's death and wanting to pay their respects to Craig's mother Mary. What surprises Andy the most is the revelation of what is in Craig's will: everything - all of Craig's worldly possessions - have been left to Andy.

However, Craig has hardly done him a favor. "All my worldly possessions" amounts to little more than a drained bank account and a property which is overridden with junk. All in all, this is a ramshackle and practically destitute estate...Craig was apparently barely living above subsistence level.

When Andy finds a dead rat under the refrigerator with a key in its mouth, he reaches his breaking point. He's convinced that this is all some sort of sick joke. Then he finds the letter left by Craig, written two days before his death...detailing the rules of "the game."

I must say that I really enjoyed reading this book. It certainly was quite an interesting plot; and while there weren't that many sympathetic characters in the story - I don't think there were supposed to be that many - I felt sorry for exactly three characters: Andy's sister Kate, his aunt Mary, and Craig's boss' granddaughter Debbie. Overall, I would give Mortom: A Novel by Erik Therme an A! I will certainly keep my eyes open for more books by this author to read in the future.

A! - (90-95%)

May you read well and often

0 comments: