Mike Hartner - I, James

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

53. I, James by Mike Hartner (2014)
The Eternity Series Book 2
Length: 235 pages
Genre: Historical Fiction
Started: 30 October 2014
Finished: 5 November 2014
Where did it come from? Many thanks to Dorothy at Pump up Your Book for sending me a copy of this book to read.
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 6 October 2014
Why do I have it? I like historical fiction and have read and enjoyed I, Walter by this author in the past.

Born on September 21, 1613, James Luis Juan Crofter was the second son of English merchant seaman turned ruler of the Iberian Empire, Walter Crofter and his wife, Maria, Princess of Castile. For the next eleven years, young James lived a privileged life as a much-favored prince near the port of San Sabastian on the west coast of Spain. Then on his eleventh birthday, in the year 1624, James is unceremoniously ripped from his family.

Kidnapped and sold into slavery by a ruthless man, who just happens to be his father's estranged brother, James is subsequently shipped off to a tobacco plantation in Africa. For the next five years, James toiled away in enforced servitude, and the prince became a veritable pauper - a stranger living in a strange land. He dreamed of the day when he would be free and be able to return to his loving family. 

As James quietly plots and plans for the day that he will eventually escape; he prepares himself for life beyond the plantation. James secretly promises himself that he will return someday to ensure freedom for the other slaves - people whom James considers to be honorary members of his much missed and longed for family. The question that continually haunts James' thoughts is: Is it possible that nature is stronger than nurture? And even if it is, will James still be able to find the happiness that he so richly desires?

I really enjoyed reading this book. The plot was as engaging as I, Walter and I found myself hoping that James would be able to find his family very soon, and overcome the many obstacles that were in his way. The characters and plot were well-developed, and I could sympathize with so many of the characters. I also hoped that others would receive appropriate justice or punishment. 

I would give I, James by Mike Hartner an A! This is the second book in The Eternity Series, and I look forward to reading the next book in the series, which I think will focus on the life of James' daughter, Mary Crofter.

A! - (90-95%)

May you read well and often

0 comments: