Carol Pritt - Deviltry Afoot

Thursday, August 8, 2013

26. Deviltry Afoot by Carol Pritt (2013)
Length: 202 pages
Genre: Horror
Started: 4 August 2013
Finished: 7 August 2013
Where did it come from? Many thanks to Dorothy at Pump up Your Book for sending me a copy of this book to read.
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 29 July 2013
Why do I have it? I like horror and Carol Pritt is a new author for me.

When Becky Sanders is brutally murdered, her mother Tina is devastated and vows to find her killer and bring them to justice. Little does Tina Sanders realize that her daughter's murder is only the beginning in a reign of terror for the tiny town of Pendale. Seeking justice for Becky, Tina starts her own investigation of these gruesome murders; which ultimately leads her into the supernatural realm. For all signs point Tina toward an seeming impossibility - the murderer is one Donald Fate, a merciless assailant who apparently died in 1961.

The police have no tangible clues to go on, and are understandably reluctant to accept Tina's claim that their perpetrator is a phantom. To the detective in charge of Becky Sanders' case, Tina is just a grieving mother who is chasing intangible ghosts in order to deal with her daughter's death. As terror spreads through Pendale, Tina begins to wonder if a mother's love alone is strong enough to defeat such a dreadful and demonic evil.

I quite enjoyed reading this book; I found the story to be extremely scary, and the ending was a satisfyingly creepy cliff hanger for me. If I did have one tiny complaint about the book though, it would be that my copy had a number of spelling and punctuation errors throughout the story that made it slightly irritating for me to read. However, this may be just an isolated occurrence that I discovered.

Overall, I give Deviltry Afoot by Carol Pritt an A! In my opinion, this book was a very commendable debut from a promising author, and I look forward to reading more from Carol Pritt in the future.

A! - (90-95%)
          
May you read well and often

0 comments: