Julie Beard - Romance of the Rose

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

13. Romance of the Romance by Julie Beard (1998)
Length: 400 pages
Genre: Historical Romance
Started: 5 August 2008
Finished: 13 August 2008
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 22 July 2008
Why do I have it? I like historical romance and Julie Beard is a new author for me

For my #1 challenge (Title With Flower), I read Romance of the Rose by Julie Beard. When lovely, quick-tempered Lady Rosalind Carbery inherits Thornbury House from her father, she is determined to rule it alone as a virgin like the great Queen Elizabeth. She longs to be a successful playwright like her friend William Shakespeare.

Drake Rothwell has other plans. Fostered by Rosalind's father when he was a boy, the bold privateer returns from the high seas to claim Thornbury House as his own. Their merry battles come to a head when the queen settles their dispute - by taking the house from both of them. Desperate to get the house back, Drake and Rosalind join forces to lay double claim to the land by marrying in name only. However, soon Rosalind realizes the one territory she cannot protect from Drake is her heart.

I really liked this Elizabethan romance and I thought that it had a nice little twist at the end. I give it a B+!

B+! - (89-94%) 

May you read well and often

0 comments: