Christine Nolfi - The Shell Keeper

Saturday, April 11, 2015

16. The Shell Keeper by Christine Nolfi (2015)
Kindle Worlds Novella: The Lei Crime Series Book 3/Lei's Magic Series Book 1
Length: 38 pages
Genre: Short Story
Started: 10 April 2015
Finished: 11 April 2015
Where did it come from? Many thanks to Christine Nolfi for sending me a copy of this book to read from Amazon.
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 8 April 2015
Why do I have it? I like short stories and have read and enjoyed Treasure Me by the same author in the past.

Two weeks before she begins her assignment with the South Hilo Police Department in Hawaii, recent police academy graduate Leilani Texeira dubiously accepts a gift from her aunt Rosario. Lei's aunt has secretly booked her niece some time at a relaxing Bed and Breakfast in South Carolina, and now she expects Lei to report to her every day with Lei's 'Itinerary of Fun'. So, Lei grudgingly embarks on her vacation - with absolutely no idea that it will turn out to be an unexpectedly magical interlude.

She soon discovers that she's staying on the beach at a frothy, 'Tara'-style mansion - one that strongly resembles a baker's confection. Not only that, but this Bed and Breakfast is managed by an honest-to-goodness Southern belle hostess named Pixie. And Pixie wears enough bling to open a shop on Rodeo Drive. Pixie apparently likes to gossip as well; when she reveals that a local woman who is reputed to have psychic powers wants to meet Lei, her invitation is anything but welcome.

Lei is nothing if not cautious - actually highly skeptical, if the full truth is told. Yet, what Lei discovers about the the sorcery of belief, and the love that is promised to her in the future, may just be strong enough to begin to heal wounds that she's been carrying for way too many years.

I must say that while I have at least three books in Toby Neal's Lei Crime Series, I have yet to read any of her work. However, I did read Treasure Me by Christine Nolfi back in June of 2013. At 38 pages long, I very much appreciated that this story was so well-written. It was also a well-developed, complete story that left me fully satisfied by the end. I give this short story an A+! and I'm looking forward to reading more stories set in this world in the future.

A+! - (96-100%)

May you read well and often

0 comments: