Layton Green - The Summoner: A Novel of Suspense

Monday, November 4, 2013

41. The Summoner: A Novel of Suspense by Layton Green (2010)
The Dominic Grey Series Book 1
Length: 318 pages
Genre: Contemporary Mystery
Started: 27 October 2013
Finished: 4 November 2013
Where did it come from? From Amazon
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 16 December 2011
Why do I have it? I like contemporary mysteries and Layton Green is a new author for me.

William Addison - retired United States diplomat - disappears in front of hundreds of onlookers while attending a religious ceremony in the bush veld of Zimbabwe. Assigned to investigate the Addison case is Dominic Grey - Diplomatic Security special agent - a product of a violent childhood and a well-worn passport. He is not typically a 'by the book, follow the rules' special agent - but because he is so well-traveled, and knowledgeable in the martial arts - Dominic has managed to keep his position with the American Embassy.

Aiding in the investigation is Professor Viktor Radek, religious phenomenology scholar and expert on cults, and Nya Mashumba, the local government liaison. What Dominic uncovers during his investigation is a terrifying cult older than Western civilization, the harsh underbelly of a country in despair, a demagogic priest seemingly able to perform impossibilities, and the identity of the newest sacrifice.

Himself.

The Summoner: A Novel of Suspense, is the first book in a series which spans the globe; whose protagonists investigate the world's most bizarre and dangerous cults. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It was well-written and fast-paced, and captured my attention right from the beginning. I must say that there were several unexpected plot twists - at least for me - and the various cliff-hangers throughout the story had me literally on the edge of my seat.

I give this book a definite A+! and look forward to reading more from Layton Green in the future. This story is certainly not for the faint-of-heart, and is totally thrilling and suspenseful.

A+! - (96-100%)

May you read well and often

0 comments: